Updated: Dec 5, 2019
Every time it is Christmas, I start to think about charity. Also about, why I think about doing good only in December. In Estonia, the reason can be, that because it is so cold and dark during the winter, that I just feel so sorry for everyone who can not go to a warm home.
But I think you should do good all year long. Maybe changing your lifestyle, donating money or just listening to someone. There are opportunities how to be more mindful about things around you, instead of saying to everyone that their bad situation is their own fault. I am sure, that not everyone are to blame for their own misfortune. And even if they are, then compassion is one of those qualities you could always practice more.
I will write down few things you can do for the world and people without a lot of effort. Hopefully it will inspire you a bit, how to practice compassion, but I will write the things down mainly for myself for the reminder.
1. I will smile more to people. Even if they pump into me in a public transport or do something that would normally irritate me. I will smile to people walking on streets. Lets see how far I can go with that. I will smile to everyone.
2. I will pick an organization I will donate my money or time. I will pick one theme and stay true to that with giving my energy. I will share this theme honestly with my friends and other people. I will stand for those who need it and maybe can not do it by themselves.
3. I will reduce the use of plastic and single use object. I will educate and inspire people around me to do the same. Like for example I will leave my coffee to the shop, if I don’t have my own cup with me.
4. I will sort my things (like clothes I don’t use) and take them to a charity. Or find someone directly who wount need them, not just throw things away.
5. If I see a person in need, I will stop and help. For example give the extra cents I have to a street art performer or help to pay a bill for a person in front of me. I will give seat to people in public transport or pay for a persons coffee who is standing behind me in a shop.
6. I will listen. I will not give advice no-one hasn’t asked for.
7. I will surprise my close ones with something I am good at. For example give massage or cook for them. Or offer a private yoga class. I will remember the people ai love.
8. If I like something someone has done, I will say that to him or her. Loudly.
9. I will drive calmly with my car. I will let people to drive in front of me and stop pushing and speeding.
10. I will be better towards myself. I will say to myself that I am good enough and I will stop criticizing myself for things I would never criticize others for. I will not read comments about myself.